I didn’t initially plan on releasing another version of my Retrosheet Scoresheet before pitches were fully implemented, but I came across several “bugs” and I made some miscellaneous improvements.

Although pitch-by-pitch data isn’t fully supported, I think this is a pretty good release.


Here are the changes that were made from Version 2C into Version 2D.

– DH became a defensive position – This is an important change if you have a substitute for the DH. If the DH is changed while on offense, you should enter the substitute as a Pinch Hitter. Then, in the defensive half of the inning, the Pinch Hitter should change back to the DH.

– K+E – Previously, K+PB, K+CS, K+WP, and K+SB were supported. Now, K+E is supported too.

– Save line always displayed – I noticed that Retrosheet files display a line for save even if there is no save, so gamefiles from my scoresheet now export in the same manner.

– Extra columns for long games – Previous versions were limited to 63 plate appearances per team. I’ve now allowed for up to 126 plate appearances by team. Click “Show/Hide Extras” to see these additional columns. If you import a long game, the extra columns will display automatically.

– Extra rows for many substitutes – This is a nice improvement if you plan on scoring the All Star Game. If you click “Show/Hide Extras,” you will see 30 additional substitute rows for each team to the far right of the spreadsheet.

– Hid # fields – I really don’t have any plans to use the # columns, so I hid them.

– Comments prior to the game now in 1st at-bat – Previous versions of the scoresheet were throwing an error when the gamefile had a comment prior to the first at-bat. Comments prior to the first at-bat are now displayed in the box for the first at-bat.

– Updated Umpires File – There was a minor spacing error in the previous version of the Umpires file.

– bevent button added (need path to excel) – Beneath the box button, there is another button for bevent. In order for this to work properly, you need to populate the Excel location field in the Setup tab.




A wild event in yesterday’s Pirates’ game prompted the release of Version 2C of my Retrosheet Scoresheet.

Carlos Zambrano was pitching to Nate McLouth in the 7th inning, and he threw a wild pitch, allowing Nyjer Morgan to score from 3rd. Zambrano argued and was ejected. Angel Guzman entered to replace Zambrano, and continue pitching to Nate McLouth.

In this situation, you can place a “P” (for “P”ost “P”replay) in the BA column. This isn’t a perfect fix, as I haven’t considered a complex combination of “P”, “B”, and “A” codes… but this should cover 99.9% of games.


Robert B helped to identify a bug in Version 2a of the Retrosheet Scoresheet. The bug occurred when there was a substitution for the pitcher in a game using the DH (darn me for only scoring Pirates’ games!).

The bug has been fixed, and version 2b is now available on the Download page.




I’ve done additional work on my Retrosheet Scoresheet project, and I am now releasing Version 2a.

Key Improvements:
– Substitutes are now entered at a logical position on the scoresheet. For instance, if Ramon Vazquez replaces Jack Wilson in the 8th spot in the batting order, Vazquez is placed just below Jack Wilson on the scoresheet.
– If a player changes positions during a game, the second Pos/Inn columns are used.
– If both sets of Pos/Inn columns are used and there is a short bat surrounding one of those substitutions, the BA column now shows: “A”, “B”, “XA”, “XB”, “AA”, “AB”, “BA”, or “BB” depending on whether each substitution was “B”efore the short bat, “A”fter the short bat, or “X” not related to the short bat.

This closes out Version 2 of my Retrosheet Scoresheet Project.

I will now begin working on Version 3 which focuses on the incorporation of pitch data.